Education / Training

If you decide to leave school at 16 and would like to find out about getting practical skills like plumbing or more qualifications such as GCSEs in English and maths, T Levels, A levels or Diplomas (this is called ‘Further Education’) touch the link

(T levels are a new qualification, this link explains what they are


You are entitled to get help applying for courses from your Personal Adviser

If you’re between 14 and 19 find out what courses and qualifications are available to study near where you live

Find out what funding is available for your college course


Are you thinking of going to university? (also known as ‘Higher Education’)

A university student’s story

A Youtube film of care leavers at university

A celebration of the university achievements of care leavers at Cambridge


All applications to university are made through UCAS

When filling in your UCAS form tick the ‘Care Leaver’ box and you will get more support

(For information on applying to Student Finance to fund your university course go to the Money section)


Many universities offer special support to care leavers, both during the application stage and once you arrive to start doing your course

Here are the websites for some of the universities offering special support:

University of London

Brunel University, London Postgraduate study support at Brunel

Bristol University

University of Bath

University of Birmingham

Bournemouth University

Edge Hill University, Ormskirk, Lancashire

University of Cambridge

University of Essex, Colchester

University of Wales, Swansea

University of Edinburgh


If you don’t get into the university you wanted you can apply through what is called ‘Clearing’ to see if you can get into a different one